Ryann stood up front-it's difficult to hear the video-and told the kids about Rylee. She told them what she couldn't do but quickly followed up with saying, "but we don't care because we love her just the way she is." The kids enjoyed hearing about how she snorts like a piggy when she's hungry! Ryann told the kids how special her sister is and then informed the students they could ask her momma questions. I joined the girls up front (after wiping away a few proud tears) and answered the questions as simply as I could. A child's ability to adapt and adjust to new things still amazes me. Many times we've found young children ask better questions and are more polite than than the adults.
I took in a book to read about differences, and handed out our NKH fundraiser bracelets. Each bracelet had Rylee's site attached to it. Hopefully the parents will check it out and gain a better understanding of what we go through daily...and they will use this as a way to teach their children about differences. Our theme was 'Everyone is different. Your differences are what make YOU special.'
I'm attaching video from the day and photos of Ryann's class with Rylee. I thought that Conner, Grace, Maggie, and Katie would enjoy hearing the story we read...since their siblings also have NKH. I know I'm not "Reading Rainbow" material, but the kids got a kick out of it!
As always, thanks for checking in-and don't forget you can still leave us comments-we love hearing from each of you!
1 comment:
Deb, I LOVE your new site! Ryann's show and tell day at school brought such happy tears to my eyes. She is such a great big sister! The NKH bracelets were a great idea and so was putting Rylee's webite address on them. Where, oh where do you find the time? Thank you for sharing your lives with us. We continue to pray for you all every day. Hugs and kisses, love: John, Mary, Katie, Maggie & Fiona
Post a Comment