"For you formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them." - Psalm 139:13-16
Blog author retains full ownership and rights to all text, creative content, photographs, and story lines on this specific blog. Please do not use any content or photographs without the permission of blog author. This blog is primarily intended for the purpose of updating "RyleeBugGroupies" on Rylee and her family.
All comments are subject to moderation-anonymous comments will not be posted.


8.28.2008

COSI Rocks!


Rylee knows what's coming!
Rylee's big blue eyes.
Aaron spent the entire weekend working...so the girls and I
packed up and headed to Columbus' COSI for the day.

Rylee sound asleep...and double parked!
Ryann discovering the difference between positive and negative attraction.
Checking out the NASA spaceship exhibit. Ryann was enthralled with the thought of gravity free, um, poop. Yeah...we need to get her out more!



Finding out what clouds are made of.

As a mother, I think it is very important to expose the girls to as many things as possible. With Ryann we work the intellect, with Rylee the senses. Culture, music, different languages, geography, history, science-nothing is off limits. Ryann actually asks to watch the Discovery Channel. She loves 'How it's Made' and 'MythBusters.' When we travel, we let her carry a map and highlight where we are headed. Like her mommy, she loves art museums-could sit for hours looking at an M.C. Escher print. Our van CD player currently holds Irish/Celtic music, Swahili tribal music, Michael Buble, and Third Day. Rylee loves hearing different instruments and will turn her head to locate the music. For Christmas this year Ryann has asked for 'Muzzy' in French. (A language teaching form of Hooked on Phonics) Keep in mind of course she can't read fully in English yet! Rylee responds well to different smells during her sensory play. Turn on her Beach Febreeze Scent Story and her ocean sound machine-she's asleep in five. Give her feet a massage with peppermint and play her workout music (currently the Monkees) and she is alert and wiggling. Ryann discovered a taste for all foreign food while we visited Disney's Epcot. (We had food from every country!) So, while trying to teach and broaden the girls' experiences...I sometimes forget we just need to have fun! So, next time you take your child to the museum, remember to see things with a child's wide eyed wonder.
Thing we learned while at COSI:
1.) If you are pushing a child in a wheelchair, that adult has free admission. Very swanky.
2.) You can tell alot about your body's nutrition, or lack thereof, by examining your bowel movements. I know this because every bathroom at COSI has 'poop facts' written in the stalls...and Ryann used the bathroom at least eight times while we were there!
3.) No matter how well behaved your child is...they will still get the giggles and point when they see a bust/sculpture that is naked. Grown men react much the same.
4.) Too much knowledge can be dangerous. In the Life Exhibit, they show a baby being born. Ryann now realizes that babies don't come out of their momma's bellybuttons...she also promptly resolved to adopt.
5.) People when given the opportunity to do good, will rise to the occasion. The staff and volunteers were very kind and helpful. (The COSI folks have got to do an exhibit on special needs children!)
6.) Children will not eat vegetables at home. They will however magically desire little green 'trees' and dressing soaked salad in an expensive cafeteria. Inevitably upon being seated, the 'grass' isn't so green on their side. Halfway through eating the discarded salad, while watching your child eat a gooey, greasy slice of pizza - you realize your child has discovered the art of manipulation.
7.) Cockroaches can hiss.
7a.) Mothers laden with camera, diaper bag, one child on a hip the other death gripping a leg, can move with the speed and agility of a cheetah.
8.) Healthy, able bodied people will always sit in the handicap section of the theatre. These same people will give you dirty looks and sigh, groan loudly when you ask them politely to move for your daughter's wheelchair.
9.) It is time for me to break over and apply for a handicap parking permit.
10.) You have to swallow alot of things to get out of jail for a day. See x-ray in Life Exhibit from inmate # 091-32w.
11.) A fulcrum, when positioned correctly, will allow a five year old to 'lift' a car.
11a.) That same five year old will find it impossible later in the evening to pick up any of her toys before bedtime.
12.) Frankie Jonas is just as cute as his big brothers.
13.) A banana, plus liquid nitrogen, makes a hammer Bob Vila would be proud of.
We made more great memories with the girls. And have had a wonderful summer! As always, thank you for your prayers and encouragement!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you how amazing you are?! Thank you for sharing your trip details and making me laugh (always!!). We miss you guys sooo much.

Love~Angie

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryleebug, just want to say how beautiful you and your big sister look on the pictures mommy put on your web site. Your mommy is so good to put pics on the blog so we can see you. I miss seeing you and Ryann. When are you coming over to see me and Billy Billy? I'm so glad you went on your trip with mommy and grandma Vivian, your mommy thinks of alot of nices things to do doesn't she!! I don't know who generates all that energy her and Ryann have but I SURE WOULD LIKE SOME OF IT. (smiles) Well, better go, I love you and sissy so much - give her a kiss for me. Mind mommy and I hope I see you soon. Grandma Sandy J.

THE CLAUSENS said...

WOw Deb, # 3 was so funny & I enjoy following your family adventures. You are such a cool person.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Deb for sharing your family blog link with COSI. After you posted your suggestions on our FACEBOOK page (I just replied back to your post!), I was eager to read about your experience here. You have a beautiful family, and I am eager to share Ryan and Rylee's trip with other COSI team members.

"For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."

Psalm 139:13-16