"For you formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them." - Psalm 139:13-16
Blog author retains full ownership and rights to all text, creative content, photographs, and story lines on this specific blog. Please do not use any content or photographs without the permission of blog author. This blog is primarily intended for the purpose of updating "RyleeBugGroupies" on Rylee and her family.
All comments are subject to moderation-anonymous comments will not be posted.


1.11.2008

Hospital Update

******Addendum, Friday night - We are still at the hospital. As we were leaving Rylee had another black bowel movement. After Dr. Poulton looked at it he became concerned, saying it was digested blood. She has internal bleeding, hopefully only from an ulcer due to the stress of this past week. Her hemoglobin count was much lower. They will do CBCs through the night to watch it, and if necessary do a transfusion. We are also adding an antacid to hopefully coat her tummy and stop the bleeding, if it is indeed an ulcer. Please pray this is what is wrong and that her stomach lining will heal quickly. I will try to update tomorrow. **********************

Rylee's PICU doctor-Dr. Poulton-just came in to say we are headed home! Once all the blood work/cultures and nasal swabs came back we discovered she had RSV, causing the pneumonia...and the jury is still out on how exactly she got staph. He's going to start her on Bactrium, which she can take through her g-tube, meaning we'll have no IVs to deal with at home. She's off blow by oxygen and doing fine. Her secretions are still pretty thick, but we can deal with that at home by suctioning when needed and giving additional water between feedings.
Right now we are waiting for one result to come back and then we'll head home. Our Nurse Becky stopped in just as Dr. Poulton stopped by, so she's aware of everything and will be able to help us keep an eye on things next week. She's a great source of information...and gives me a safety net. I'm always quick to say I'm "Rylee trained" not medically trained. Having such great medical staff takes some of the pressure off mommy. I did ask if there was anything we could have done-caught it earlier, prevented it-and Dr. Poulton teased me about calling CPS because I was such a horrible mom! It's just that time of the year, and our little dare devil really has been riding the edge for two years. While we fully understand the severity of her NKH and its symptoms, it's easy to have a false sense of security when she's been well. Dr. Poulton was pleased that she responded quickly to the meds, but she certainly was a sick little kiddo. Needless to say I'll be on house arrest for the rest of the winter with RyleeBug. We've had many of our same nurses-they've done a bang up job of caring for Rylee...and keeping me occupied so I won't get too hyper! Nurse Judy treats her like her own. Nurse Amy brought us a home cooked meal one night. Nurse Brooke made sure we had supplies before we came home. Nurse Anita and Tammy made sure she looked pretty. And Kimmy reminds me to laugh-making sure I had at least two tray at each meal to pick and choose food from.
It's amusing that I can talk with, calmly listen to, and help families in crisis situations...but then it's my child lying there in the bed. Certainly a reminder that I've still got alot to learn..and to not take things for granted.
Aaron has been off all week, helping me with the girls. I'm very grateful for a supportive husband. When I can't make decisions, he stands in the gap-and vice versa. It's reassuring to know there's someone standing beside me, willing and able to help me with Rylee and Ryann. The grandma's have been helping out with Ryann, and one of us goes home each evening to spend the night with her. She told me today that when we all got home, she plans to "lock the door and throw away the key" so we won't leave again. Her teachers have been great, helping us keep things "normal" for Ryann. She's such a sweet little kid, and when Rylee's not well it worries her too. Although she has enjoyed "decorating" Rylee's room in honor of her homecoming. I'm pretty sure we should buy stock in Elmer's glue.
Our church family has visited-Pastor Troy brings us breakfast and then comes back to occupy Aaron-and helped out with meals, Cherie stopped to drop of junk food, Granny Franny stopped by to check on her girlie...and above all they've lifted us up in prayer. What a blessing that we don't have "fair weather friends." They've been through everything with us, love us...and always answer the phone. Our NKH families have also prayed and sent emails of encouragement and I think Olivia's mom, Angie and I have spoken almost daily. Thank you-each of you-for caring so much about our little family.
" If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and no one to help him up." Eccl 4:10
We're still very tired, and I imagine next week will be long-I'll be watching her like a hawk-but at least we'll be home, in our own beds. Although, I wish we could take our medical staff with us!
Our sense of humor is still intact, and we are reminded again of how fragile life is-enjoy every moment, don't have any regrets. What a gift we have that with Rylee. Aaron and I have learned to love on a whole new level because of our girls.
"...the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love" Galatians 5:6

On a side note, in the midst of all this we got some huge news. Many of you know we spent a glorious week (sounds dramatic-but it's true!) at Give Kids the World and visited Disney's Magic Kingdom. Alexis at the VIPLounge and the rest of the Disney cast members were so good to us that I sent an email thanking them. It's refreshing to go somewhere that actually has things for your special needs child. They went above and beyond to make our day extra special-Rylee even got a kiss from her Prince Charming! Certainly a day we will never forget. Apparently the email made it's way through channels and we were nominated for a "Magic Moment." By chance they caught Aaron at home and told him Disney was sending us four, seven day park hopper passes! He teared up, I cried, the nurses on PI cried...what a blessing. A free week at Disney! Can you even imagine! But as parents, we felt like God was saying we'd have another vacation with Rylee. It was such a huge encouragement. By the next day the Disney folks had overnighted a huge box of goodies for the girls and our tickets. It's still a bit overwhelming. We can't wait to get Rylee well and head down there...maybe we can talk Ty Pennington/Home Makeover into making our house accessible for Rylee while we are there!? I know, we'd better not push it!
When we took our Make A Wish trip, the flight was awful and really did a number on Rylee. Because it made her so sick we only got to visit Magic Kingdom and Sea World. Now we can do all the parks, and take our time, ensuring Rylee isn't too overstimulated.
Aaron and I hope that we can go this spring if Rylee is well. It would be awesome to meet the lady Aaron spoke with and thank her and the Disney folks personally. It's encouraging to know there are special people out there that care about kids like Rylee and want to do something about it. "Compassion without action is just an emotion." God certainly has surrounded us with people who show compassion in action.

Thank you for checking on us and praying for Rylee. Sometimes when you are in the situation, that's all you see. But thankfully God sends us the right people at the right time-to care for Rylee and encourage us as parents.
Trusting in His love and grace-
A tired but blessed Davis Family
Aaron, Deb, Ryann, and our little Evil Kanevil - RyleeBug (grin)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you! We love you! We love you!...and did I mention that we love you!!! Praise the LORD for Rylee's being on the road to recovery. We will not cease in our prayers for RyleeBug and for you all. SallyBrown sends get well hugs to her RyleeBug. We have Rylee's picture right next to Olivia's bed! Love ya, Angie

Anonymous said...

Anyone who says that miracles don't happen anymore need only take a glance at Miss Rylee. Her battle is huge but she fights on! We could all take a lesson from her. Praise God for a good doctors report, medicine, a loving hospital staff, friends & family that care, home & the miracle herself, Rylee.

"Welcome Home Davis family, Welcome Home" - hope that will hold you over until Ty gets there!

Love you all! Trish

Anonymous said...

What a great answer to PRAYER! YOU ARE COMING HOME>.. OR MAY BE HOME.. by the time you read this!! WOW!! I am so thrilled and happy to also hear about your trip to DISNEY!! Oh my Goodness... I bet Ryann is so excited!! I am so happy and I am rejoicing with you tonight... Still praying for Rylee to feel better and EVERYONE to get some rest! Aunt Beth

The Fitzpatricks said...

Your homecoming has certainly made my week! What wonderful news. It's great that Rylee does not need IV antibiotics afterall (at home) and that she is resting comfortably. It really makes a difference that you have true, caring, competen & compassionate professionals taking care of RyleeBug and you! Congrats on your trip to Disney. That is so cool and I am sure that when you do end up going, it will be so incredible. We know that you will be watching Rylee like a hawk but please try to get some rest yourselves, too. We love you and we are praying for you. ~ John, Mary, Katie, Maggie & Fiona

Anonymous said...

I do believe in miracles. I am glad that the doctor's found out what is wrong with your daughter. My concern is why in the world would you want to exploy your daughter on line. I can see that in the pics that she is still a very sick little girl. That doesn't need the extra stress. I pray that you and your husband and family find peace and rest.

Anonymous said...

Thought and prayed for you all this past weekend. First thing I had to do when I got back to the office was to check in on Rylee and her mom & dad. Glad to see that things are headed in a good direction for you all. Will keep you all on my prayer list.Thank you God for this miracle! God is in control!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that rylee had to stay in the hospital!!! i WANTED TO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR OUR TALK. GOD TRIES TO PUT THE RIGHT PEOPLE IN OUR LIFE WHEN WE NEED THEM THE MOST!! I FEEL RIGHT NOW YOU WERE MEANT TO BE IN MINE. I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER "BITTER VS BETTER" HOPE RYLEE IS BETTER SOON!! TAMMY

Anonymous said...

You need to let go and let God.
This child is SUFFERING because YOU can't bear to let her go. Upper GI bleeding, pneumonia, a systemic Staph infection.
What will it take for you to see that your child is desperately ill and deteriorating?

I hope that the doctors are compassionate enough to medicate her for pain. Just because she can't verbalize pain certainly doesn't mean she isn't in severe pain from all that you are having done to keep her alive.

Anonymous said...

Deb & Aaron~
I just want to tell you that I think that you are wonderful parents to your precious little girl, doing and caring for her the way that any loving parent would. There's only one difference, that you have to make decisions for your child that no parent should have to make. Having a child with NKH and also having lost a baby to NKH just as you have done, I too relate to your struggles. Rylee is still here, not because you can't bare to let her go, but because the LORD hasn't called her home yet. The LORD placed Rylee right where she needed to be, with loving and compassionate parents. We love you and thank you for sharing your life with us.
Love Angie

Anonymous said...

Davis Family,

I am so Excited to hear about your vacation to DISNEY! Let me know when you plan to go and I will make sure the Enfamil is ready and waiting on Ms. RyleeBug! (Wink!)

You are both wonderful parents to your children. Praise the LORD for parents as kind, loving, and smart as Deb & Aaron. I pray my Husband Jason and I will be half the parents your two are. Your children are so blessed to have such amazing parents to call Mommy and Daddy!

Your family is in our prayers!

Love The Gansman Family,
Jason, Katie and Elijah

Anonymous said...

In reference to the negative comments by anonymous person... Lets keep our posts to Deborah and Aaron positive and uplifting. I think they are going through enough and don't need to read someone else's opinion. Those words were down right cruel!!!

Ben, Bekah & Boys said...

Hey Guys!

Sorry to hear that Rylee has been sick - we've been thinking about you and praying, and now I know why! Glad to hear that she's on the mend.

It was great to visit with you guys over Christmas! Give both girls big hugs and kisses from us all!

Love, Ben, Bek & Boys3

"For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."

Psalm 139:13-16