Okay-so, like all women, I'm wrapped up in a wonderful romantic movie. You know the type-the guy always says the right thing at just the right time, the stolen glances from across a crowded room, all the things that make us sigh. What girl hasn't indulged in chocolate, a cozy blanket, a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie or Jane Austen novel, and sighed...thinking, "why isn't married life just like that? Why doesn't my husband say things like that?"
In the past week I've learned that reality can certainly be much sweeter than fiction. Ryann and I came down with the NyQuil commercial symptoms that came with this year's flu strain. After a week of sniffing, aching, stuffy head, and fever with mystery respiratory illness I'm worn out. I'm also amazed and a bit more in love with my husband.
Aaron took care of the girls (Rylee hasn't shown any symptoms yet, praise the Lord!), caught up all the laundry, did damage control on the house, played receptionist, made sure we stayed hydrated, and passed out Kleenex boxes and cleaned up used tissues with the speed of a cheetah. He also is now adept at dodging uncovered coughs and sneezes and spraying Lysol throughout the house and on all non-porous surfaces. I know I was a bit delirious but by the end of the week I could have sworn I saw him, silhouetted in the doorway, sunlight streaming behind him, one hand resting lightly on a tool belt filled with Lysol products, the other hand furiously disinfecting.
It was just like that moment when Carey Grant realizes that Deborah Kerr was protecting him from knowing and falling for a "cripple." But, he doesn't care because he's already in love with her and sees her for who she is-the woman he's in love with...sigh.
Yep, I had one of those epiphany moments just like in an "Affair to Remember."
Romance isn't about story book moments, movie fantasy in exotic places. Romance is when your husband grins at you and tells you you're cute even though you know your nose is red and sore and you smell like Vick's Vapor Rub. There is nothing more romantic than seeing your husband bend over the bed of your child, tuck them in gently and kiss their sweaty little foreheads. Romance is knowing you can empty the trash can, close up the bag, and know that he'll come through and take care of the rest. I've discovered a new dishwasher gives back so much more than a dozen roses. A sticky note found in the bathroom shower counts for at least two of those $4 Hallmark cards.
romance (verb) - to invent or relate romances; indulge in fanciful or extravagant stories or daydreams
I realized I don't have to invent or daydream. Our Prince Charming can work a ten hour day, care for his girls and wife, and I'm pretty positive he could totally slay a dragon if the need would arise...well, he does match up socks really well!
In the past week I've learned that reality can certainly be much sweeter than fiction. Ryann and I came down with the NyQuil commercial symptoms that came with this year's flu strain. After a week of sniffing, aching, stuffy head, and fever with mystery respiratory illness I'm worn out. I'm also amazed and a bit more in love with my husband.
Aaron took care of the girls (Rylee hasn't shown any symptoms yet, praise the Lord!), caught up all the laundry, did damage control on the house, played receptionist, made sure we stayed hydrated, and passed out Kleenex boxes and cleaned up used tissues with the speed of a cheetah. He also is now adept at dodging uncovered coughs and sneezes and spraying Lysol throughout the house and on all non-porous surfaces. I know I was a bit delirious but by the end of the week I could have sworn I saw him, silhouetted in the doorway, sunlight streaming behind him, one hand resting lightly on a tool belt filled with Lysol products, the other hand furiously disinfecting.
It was just like that moment when Carey Grant realizes that Deborah Kerr was protecting him from knowing and falling for a "cripple." But, he doesn't care because he's already in love with her and sees her for who she is-the woman he's in love with...sigh.
Yep, I had one of those epiphany moments just like in an "Affair to Remember."
Romance isn't about story book moments, movie fantasy in exotic places. Romance is when your husband grins at you and tells you you're cute even though you know your nose is red and sore and you smell like Vick's Vapor Rub. There is nothing more romantic than seeing your husband bend over the bed of your child, tuck them in gently and kiss their sweaty little foreheads. Romance is knowing you can empty the trash can, close up the bag, and know that he'll come through and take care of the rest. I've discovered a new dishwasher gives back so much more than a dozen roses. A sticky note found in the bathroom shower counts for at least two of those $4 Hallmark cards.
romance (verb) - to invent or relate romances; indulge in fanciful or extravagant stories or daydreams
I realized I don't have to invent or daydream. Our Prince Charming can work a ten hour day, care for his girls and wife, and I'm pretty positive he could totally slay a dragon if the need would arise...well, he does match up socks really well!
3 comments:
Way too much credit!! Truth be known, I was just trying to keep Rylee and I from getting sick. I am not near as romantic as I was while we dated. And to be honest, I was hoping Deborah was out of it enough not to notice all that I was doing. Now that she knows she might expect it all the time. Not good for me. I like to fly under the radar. Before this past week, I don't think she knew that a broom fit my hands.
All joking aside, after doing all my normal duties and then doing about half of hers, I was worn out. It gave me a new found; strike that, a remembered respect for all that Deborah does to make our house a home. I say remembered because I know all that she does, but I tend to forget and take her for granted. It was good for me to remember. So I too have found some romance in the week of a thousand sickness. Remembering what all my wife puts up with and does to take care of us makes me love her a little more.
And by the way, she was cute with her scratchy voice and red nose. Maybe not jump your bones romantic but cute non the less.
Aaron
You all are TOO cute. Looks like the love bug resulted from your flu bug! Isn't God good to us to give spouses that can see the good even in the bad times? You both continue to bless me with your witness, your marriage & your parenting of your beautiful daughters! Hope many happy & healthy days are to come!
Love, Trish
Debbie, As I read your post this evenng I thanked God for the love that you for your wonderful husband. Just made me realize how much I miss mine after 42 years. Yes he was not the most romantic man in the world but those roses he brought me each time he was out of town, the love shown by taking care of me medically, monetary though those years and even now! The 3 wonderful children,2 wonderful son-in-laws, 1 wonderful daughter-in-law and 4 wonderful grandchildren that he loved just as much. Yes his heart was so full of love for us. Make sure you tell Aaron how wonderful he is every day. Life is so short! But God is so good. Just as he promised he has taken care of me even as I sit here typing through the tears, I praise Him!
Jennie
Post a Comment