We've been enjoying a low profile the past few weeks. Rylee is finally breathing clear, sleeping deep, and grousing whenever she doesn't want bothered. She's also back to being vocal when her feeding is due. We are settling back into her schedule-therapies, programs, appointments. She needs a receptionist just to keep her calendar straight! I peeked in on her over the weekend...long lanky "froggy" legs, massive amounts of blond hair, dark eyelashes dusting those chunky cheeks and hiding bright blue eyes, slow steady breathing...I still cannot get over our "Sleeping Beauty" and what an amazing little girl she is. Those on the outside looking in see only what she can't do, her limitations, her diagnosis. How thankful we are that God allows us to see her as she is-His creation, "fearfully and wonderfully made." A quick check on Ryann, our "Snow White," reminds me again of our blessings-I turn her right side up, brush back massive amounts of brown hair, dark eyelashes dusting checks that have lost their toddler fullness, long lanky legs, slow deep breathing with the occassional snore. I never get used to that mommy fullness of heart. How grateful I am for my girls.
We are fast approaching the date for Rylee's Rally, a resource fair in our community for special needs families. When we took Rylee off the ventilator she was three weeks old. Because of the severity of this disorder the only thing we came home with was Hospice services. Thankfully we had wonderful medical staff, and I have a big mouth and kept asking for more! Because we kept asking and hoping, we learned about Birth to Three, Make A Wish, Kidlink, SSI, Medicaid, Waiver/Title 19, homebound schooling, Family Support Funds, and the list goes on and on. I wanted to make sure other families go home from the hospital, knowing there are programs, funding resources, and people out there willing and ready to help. No other family should go home feeling overwhelmed and alone. I may have been the "instigator" for the fair, but there are two other mom's on the front line, digging in their heels making sure everything goes off without a hitch. It's been great learning from them, working with them, and getting to know them better. It's exciting to see vendors and agencies in the area becoming involved too. While this is our first year, we're all hoping for a great turnout and day for all the families. "Special needs" can cover anything from learning disabilities, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, to Down's Syndrome, cerebral palsy, pediatric cancers, to chronic and/or life threatening illness, and anything and everything in between. Rylee helped us envision the dream, but each person involved has helped make it happen. Please pray that many families will be helped and that those involved (the vendors and agencies) learn that our children are not defined by their diagnosis.
While writing this and reflecting, it's hard not to hum one of the songs we heard during last year's Disney parade...(cue music) "Just believe and your dreams will come true..."
"For you formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them." - Psalm 139:13-16
Blog author retains full ownership and rights to all text, creative content, photographs, and story lines on this specific blog. Please do not use any content or photographs without the permission of blog author. This blog is primarily intended for the purpose of updating "RyleeBugGroupies" on Rylee and her family.
All comments are subject to moderation-anonymous comments will not be posted.
All comments are subject to moderation-anonymous comments will not be posted.
2.19.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."
Psalm 139:13-16
Psalm 139:13-16
4 comments:
I am glad Rylee is doing well. She is a beautiful girl. I do know what you mean by our special needs kids being defined by their diagnosis. I have two with special needs, but not the typical you see. The fair sounds wonderful. And, can I make a request sweetie? I love reading your blog, but the print is really tiny and a bit hard to read. Could you set it to a big larger print? I love hearing your reports on your beautiful girls!
Take care!
Shari
Hey Davis Family!
We are so glad to hear about Rylee's improving health! Give kisses to the girls for us!
The Davidson Family
I am so glad that all is well at your house and that Rylee is on the up side of things. Praying for you as you plan the big rally. I know that things will be great! I wish i lived closer so i could come to help but I'll just be there with my prayers! Stay warm and well. Will be lifting you all up in prayer in the weeks ahead!
Becky Mitchell
Hi, Deborah:
It was a true privilege to interview you today regarding Rylee and your family. It's my hope that by sharing your family's experiences, we can emphasize the importance of early intervention for children with special needs.
Please send me your mailing address (to lwatanabe@1105media.com) so I can forward magazines when the article prints. Also, I'd love to hear updates of your resource fair.
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I look forward to hearing much more.
Sincerely yours,
Laurie Watanabe
Editor
Mobility Management
Post a Comment