Blog author retains full ownership and rights to all text, creative content, photographs, and story lines on this specific blog. Please do not use any content or photographs without the permission of blog author. This blog is primarily intended for the purpose of updating "RyleeBugGroupies" on Rylee and her family.
All comments are subject to moderation-anonymous comments will not be posted.
Mobility 'challenged'
Update on Rylee's mobility 'issues'. As many of you know already, we've been trying since April to get Rylee in for a wheelchair fitting at our local mobility company. You all know how involved I am in Rylee's care, and can imagine how difficult it is for me when I have to wait and depend on others. The Leckey rep came down from Columbus to meet us with a MyGo seating system. The difference between it and the KidKart is startling. Rylee was actually comfortable in the MyGo-and it keeps her properly positioned everywhere. She has just enough movement to wiggle her hips or pull her legs into a frog position. The MyGo prevents this from happening-and finally...a seat where her arms don't dangle (is that the 'Hallelujah Chorus' in the background?). I think they decided to combine the MyGo seat with an OttoBock stroller base. The new head support keeps her head in midline and will be a huge help with her therapies. Please pray that Medicaid will approve this new product. It can be difficult getting authorization for something that isn't considered the 'norm.' (KidKart, Zippies, Quickies) Also, the state only allows for one wheelchair every five years-making it beyond important to choose the correct product now. The usual for other kids with low tone don't fit Rylee's extensive needs and finding a wheelchair that keeps her safe and properly positioned at all times will help with her overall health.
She sort of looks a bit like she's preparing for a roller coaster ride at Kings Island...but it's worth it to see her cute face! It's still crazy to see her sitting upright! The Leckey rep was surprised by how big she is at such a young age.

On to another topic-Rylee's Rally 2009! As you know, our first resource fair for special needs children was held this past March. We had 57 attending vendors and a little over five hundred people come through the doors. Well, this year we stepped out in faith and decided to rent the Field House. I know...yikes! But in true 'Field of Dreams' fashion...I really believe that if we have this resource fair again, 'they will come.' grin
About two weeks later, one of Rylee's vendors call. Not only does he want to sponsor the resource fair...(drum roll)...his sponsorship covers the entire rental fee! I know!
While we know we need to accept public/commercial sponsorship, I was concerned it would make the resource fair too commercialized, not as family centered. Now the money raised will once again go directly to the day's activities and providing a fun, informational environment for attending families.This year we are planning to organize a community fund raiser to give back too. We were fortunate enough to meet some wonderful, compassionate bikers last year at a poker run. We celebrated Rylee's third birthday raising money for Make A Wish at the run. Our hope is to do something similar at each Rylee's Rally-each year choosing a different non-profit to donate all the proceeds to.
We'll keep you updated on our progress! It's exciting to offer other families what we have from our family, friends, and vendors-unconditional love and support.
Wherever we go...that's where the party is at!
"Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." --Helen Keller
"For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."
Psalm 139:13-16
7 comments:
Rylee makes the new chair look great. Both of your girls are beautiful. It looks like Rylee is about to pass Ryann up.Keep us informed about the Ralley. Hopefully we will be able to attend this year.Debbie Sigmon
I can not believe how big and all grown up she looks sitting in her new seat:o) that is wonderful, I am getting really exctied for Rylee's Rally it was wonderful last year and will continue to be great! Enjoy the rest of the summer
Love you all!!
Danielle
Look at Rylee sitting there pretty as can be. I hope that it works out that you can get it for her. She will get to take in all the sights from this position too! I agree, she does look so grown up! We have to admit, our babies aren't babies anymore! (gulp...) When we were talking on the phone this week, a song kept coming to mind, which is based on scripture (of course) but Dallas Holm sings it - I am going to claim it for you all & all of your needs. The song is call,"I've never seen the righteous forsaken" you know the rest...or their seed begging for bread. God has provided and will continue. I have to admit that sometimes I just like to sit back and watch/wait to see what HE is going to do for you all next. Thanks for sharing with us - the picture made me smile!
Love, Trish
I'm just cracking up - the legs on that wheelchair make it look like the villain on Spider Man 2! :-) What are you feeding her, anyways?
Let us know the dates for Rylee's Rally - we'd love to come and support if we can.
Hope to see you soon! We'll be in the beginning of October.
Love, BEk
Woohoo - Johannesburg South Africa - thats me :) I'm probably not the only reader from here though.. Love watching little Rylee and big sister Ryann growing up - they are gorgeous!
Woohoo - Johannesburg South Africa!!! He he - I am probably not the only reader from here though. I love watching the girls grow up.. They are gorgeous!
Wow, yes, I will pray that the mygo/otto base chair goes through. Oh Deborah, I don't know if people think you are involved with you kids~ jk~ the blog updates, family fun & public awareness/out reach through Rylee's rally!
That's not even getting started. You are amazing it runs in the family with your girls. You are all in our prayers.
Post a Comment