
Peace
freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity
a state of tranquillity or serenity
silence; stillness
cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension
Rylee and I were outside, laying on the swing. The breeze was just right, ruffling her blond curls. She would turn her head occasionally, her eyes searching and listening.
I caught this photo as she was looking at me. There are these occasional glances-glimpses of her-that God gives us from time to time. Moments where you feel she really sees you, knows you, recognizes you. My heart skips a beat, unconsciously holding a breath and I fully realize this deep connection with my daughter.
Realistically there are many things Rylee can't do. But you know what I miss the most? Her ability to display open affection, a connection to her family. Her dimpled arms wrapped around my neck as I carry her off to slumber land. A sweet, wet little kiss pressed on my cheek. Her giggle. Rylee's never been able to do these things.
Yet along the way, we've learned ways to discover her personality-likes and dislikes, falling more deeply in love with this precious little girl. Before the girls were the same size, Ryann used to 'decorate' her sister in all her Disney princess paraphernalia. Rylee, looking a bit like a drunken gypsy, would take it all in-Ryann chatting like a little magpie and telling her sissy, "Stay right there, I'll be right back." Aaron and I love family night-watching movies with the girls-each of us lap full, hearts overflowing as we snuggle with a daughter. We have photos of Rylee in every imaginable position on family vacations. Cuddled on the couch with her baby sister Kaymaen. Ryann loves to tell the story of how Prince Phillip woke up our 'Sleeping Beauty.' Aaron and I look forward to Saturday mornings when we put the girls in bed with us and plan the day.
In the past four years of raising the girls-Aaron and I have learned to slow down a bit, take things in, appreciate more, savor moments. Rylee has taught us to 'free our minds of annoyance, distraction, anxiety.' Slowly, we've found in the midst of our heartache, a heartbeat. A heartbeat powered by a peace that does pass all known understanding. Intangible, unexplainable-yet pumping through our every day.
Maybe God gives me these moments of connection...not to let her see me...but to allow me to really see her...and be thankful...at peace.
Maybe that's a little secret God has let us in on.
Ryann recounted a bible story about Jesus and the storm. Everyone was so troubled and afraid of a great storm that had arisen, while Jesus slept in the boat. After being awakened, and probably a bit dismayed at his fellow travelers' lack of faith-He calmed the sea. While scripture quotes His words-"Peace, be still"-Ryann's four year old translation was also fitting-"Please get real."
We know that our peace comes from one place-our Heavenly Father. For us, our peace was achieved, and is daily rediscovered, by giving ourselves fully to His will. Trusting His understanding and plan for our life.
Rylee is at peace, fully content in our love, her mind on heavenly things.
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:
because he trusteth in thee."
Isiah 26:3 (KJV)
When you have this glimpse of peace, His perfect peace-on the face of a child or in the midst of your own storm-remember this sense of 'serenity, tranquility ' can only be kept by keeping your mind centered on Him.
7 comments:
What a beautiful picture of Miss Rylee bug!! Your words are so touching Deb..and true. God does give us peace in the midst of our storm. THANK YOU! Love you! Aunt Beth
Hi Ryleebug, love the Cosi pictures especially the one of your big sister sitting on the john *that'll be one to live down. (smiles).
You look so beautiful. I love ya bunches. XXXOOO to you and sissy.
G. Sandy
Hello....Trenton sends big kisses to Rylee! Deb, your words are so true, and very inspirational. Thanks for sharing your thoughts....the Pickem gang:)
For some reason, I didn't receive the email that Rylee's page had an update. God works in mysterious ways for sure because I decided to check today to see if anything new was going on with the Davis clan and ran across this 9-11 blog. Why didn't I get the email update??? - because I desperately needed these words today. While tears were trying to flow and a lump was forming in my throat, I felt a "peace" come over me that I haven't felt in weeks. Just peace - sweet, sweet peace. I can't explain it anymore than that. I have had so many "things" going on that I have been stressing about & have been so torqued up that the smallest splinter might have sent me into orbit and reading your words with the soft music playing just wiped the slate clean. The song, even though it was just the melody reminded me of it's words, "I'm desperate for you"...that is what my problem is. I am SO busy with this and that, that I am missing out on how desperately I need God. Once reality struck, the stress was gone.
So on the days, you think why do I do this, what are my words worth, does anyone even read these updates - remember that you are ministering to someone. Today it was me! I love you friend and the special person that you are!
The picture is beautiful. I had to take a double glance at first to know that I was Rylee and not Ryann. She looks so much like her Sissy in this photo.
I, like you, love those times when I look past the face and see the heart. God sure does give good gifts and our children are definitely one of his best!
Thanks & Love, Trish
PS: I remember you saying to me when we spoke last that you didn't want to come across like Joyce Meyer and preachy in your updates to which I assured you that you didn't. I can tell you this, I think Joyce Meyer needs to watch out for you. I definitely think you have an awesome ministry and I am anxious to see where it is going to lead you!!!
Hey! I am finally getting to catch up on your stories! I love the COSI section from August! Oh my, those are some funny stories! And this His peace section is so incredible! You are such a inspirational writer! And I love the photo. Rylee is just looking into our eyes! Amazing! Thanks for sharing, as usual! Alexis says hello! We were talking about the 4 of you last week. Still toasy warm down here. Hopefully it will cool off in the next few weeks. Happy Fall to all of you. Stacy
Hi Ryleebug, I really liked that last picture of you. You always look so pretty in your pictures. Tell mommy that G. Sandy thinks that she's just "awesome" and amazing. I pray for her and you and sissy and daddy all the time. I love you Ryleebug. I better go, gotta send "Sally Brown" a short note too. Keep those pretty pics coming.
Love ya bunches, G. Sandy
Your page is so inspirational!
Love to my girls Ryann and Rylee.
Love,
Mrs. Ross
Post a Comment